Stand Firm 3: Stand Firm with the Spiritual Armour
Ephesians 6:10-20, Isaiah 59:17
I. The Spiritual Struggle
A. Puts our daily lives (and the life of the corporate church) in the context of the spiritual world. We are in a spiritual war, not just a physical fight
B. Highlights that our adversary is consistently on the attack, i.e. in attack mode. MWG: two concepts among many from OT and NT: accuser (Zechariah 3:1-10) and adversary (Job 1 & 2)
C. Emphasizes that the struggle is not against flesh and blood (lit. blood and flesh) but against spiritual powers and forces.
D. The Lord doesn't ask us to win the big battle, He has already done that. He asks us to stand in the fight.
II. The Spiritual Reminder
Reminds us that our strength is in the Lord
A. Relational Strength - Access to Him
B. Resource Availability - Application of His Power
III. The Spiritual Stand - Stand Firm then...
A. The three sections:
1. Finally... vss 10-13
2. Stand Firm Then ... vss 14-17
3. And Pray ... vss 18-20
B. The images:
1. The Roman soldier?
2. The Lord as Warrior? Note Isaiah 59:17
C. The Elements:
Conclusion: Stand Firm
1. with the offensive and defensive weapons at your disposal
2. in the fight in the physical world by waging war in the spiritual world
3. when opposed by the accuser and the adversary
4. against a world view contrary to our biblical perspectives, and against a culture that seeks to demolish our biblical beliefs
5. against the relativism of truth, and trust that there remains absolute truth.