Illuminated 1 John 2:12-17
The Great Trade
I. The Reason for Writing
Question 1: What's the Reason for the Passage?
Question 2: Who are the Children, the Fathers, and the Young Men?
Question 3: What is the sequence of responses?
II. The Resulting Trade
Question 4: What is the Connection?
Question 5: What is the Contrast?
Forgiveness and Healing Guilt and Shame
Healthy Relationships Broken and Dysfunctional Relationships
Victory and Progressive Sanctification Self Improvement without Sustained Capacity
Satisfaction and Fulfillment Self Absorption without Satisfaction
Question 6: What are the Implications?
1. There is a baseline of grace and mercy resulting in forgiveness and relationship.
2. We know God through His Word and we experience Him in our daily walk.
3. We walk in strength through increasing our knowledge of His Word.
4. Movement toward the Father moves you away from the world.
5. A Growing love for the Father displaces in your heart a love for the world.
6. Though you remain in the world, the pull of the world diminishes as you grow stronger in the Lord and in His Word.